By Wednesday, we were beginning to learn some new routines. I should say now just how amazing Veronica was with Finnegan. Right away she was handling him like she'd done it all before; she was calm, cool and collected, while I scurried around the apartment doing my best Martha Stewart impression in the way of house work and cooking. I have been surprised how much fun I've had as house dad, so far. You'll have to ask Veronica whether the food was any good!The first few days were incredibly busy and full of so many new experiences. Imagine, I'd never, ever, changed a diaper before November 2! We were tired and wired at the same time, and a little bewildered, as we tried to figure out what the little guy needed!
Friday was our first visit to the pediatrician, and Veronica's first venture outside since our return from the hospital (which was, thank God, totally uneventful since our pal Colin and Tessa so generously took time out of their crazy schedule to drive us home). We were able to walk -- very slowly -- to and from the doctor's office. Finnegan passed his check-up with flying colors. He'd gained weight and grew an inch.
We arrived back home to find Tinker, our cat, flipping out. He was literally bouncing off the walls like he's some crazed Vietnam Vet having a flash back. When we finally managed to get a hold of him and he was burning up: his nose, ears, and paws were very hot. So, I packed him into the carrier and down we went to the veterinarian, Tinker yowling the whole way there, drawing looks askance from other pedestrians as though I were some kind of pet torturer.
They took blood, did an x-ray, injected an antibiotic, and -- most humiliating -- gave Tinker an enema. He had a temperature of 104. Three hours later, he seemed even more hyperactive and crazed, though the vet assured me all would be right by morning. I was handed vial of antibiotic that I was supposed inject orally every day and a bill for $500. Uhg.
The first thing Tinker did when we arrived home was throw up. Within a few minutes, Finnegan was crying and the cat was howling. We were starving. It's was a long night, as you can imagine.
The next morning, the whole family was exhausted. Veronica and I sat in the bathroom with Tinker, who was not happy about the situation, contemplating how to administer the antibiotic. We grab him by the neck, stick the oral syringe in his mouth and try to shoot the medication down his throat, just as instructed. The cat goes crazy, scratches loose from my grip, and crashes around the bathroom. He's shaking his mouth and spraying the thick yellow antibiotic everywhere. We were covered in the stuff and bickering. I looked at Veronica and said, possibly the dumbest thing I've ever said, "Do you think it tastes bad?"
Anyway, the vet is kind and agreed to let his assistants administer the anitbiotic. So at 4:30 for the next five days, I put Tinker in his carrier (each day he resisted a little more) and Martha gave him the shot. Tinker is back to his normal, mellow self now. Many thanks to the lovely, patient staff over a AAA Veterinarian Clinic on Northern Blvd.
They say the first week home with a new born really kicks your ass. Veronica and I can attest to that, and certainly so can Tinker.

No comments:
Post a Comment