So I am starting a dreaded blog, because I am on the edge of fatherhood and my family, and my wife's family live abroad (or is that my wife and I are the ones that live abroad? and I want them to be as much a part of the journey as they can stand.
That Veronica and I are about to become Veronica, Andrew, and _______ is still too difficult for me to really grasp, except in the highly abstract way. A pal of mine -- a new father -- described having a child as simultaneously miraculous and mundane. Miraculous because you've created life, mundane because just about everyone can do it. Whoa. He said this to me while pushing his very beautiful girl on a swing set in Fort Greene (an old NYC neighborhood of mine) and it seems to sum up a mixed feeling I get when, at work, I describe the latest tiny development in our pregnancy and know that I am boring the person I have trapped in the kitchen. Happily, my co-workers are patient and understanding and my wife is a saint.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment